Monday, May 25, 2009

It was phone call from a friend which turned on my thoughts.This man a grandfather came to me a decade earlier with his grandson who was diagnosed with Acute Lymphatic Leukemia.Three years of chemotherapy had cured him and he had navigated through the SSLC examination with straight A grades. A fortnight back his mother became increasingly tired with minimal exertion and of late had loss of appetite.After routine house hold remedies she worsened and started having persistent bloated feeling and abdominal distention.A consultation with the gastroentrologist prompted a series of tests and was reffered to the Regional Cance Centre .Today morning , on my way to the coffee room he was waiting for me with an Xray and a sheaf of reports.I was amazed by his presence and noticed tears in his eyes.I thought that the his grandson has relapsed and wanted some form of advice from me.To my surprise it was the mother who had Cancer of the breast ,and it had spread to the liver ,bone and brain.She was promptly admitted and investigated.The same day just before supper I recieved another call from the man politely informing me whether I could just come to the hospital.It seemed rather strange coincidence as my aunt had just called and asked about her well being.By the time I reached the hospital the man was out of his daughters room perplexed and I knew that she had just died. I linegred for and hour and came to know that her mother had just left the room an hour earlier to collect some clothes from home.
As I walked away the old man was still mumbling ,benumbed and staring at t he horizon probably searching for his daughter somewhere.

No comments: